Monday 5 November 2012

Banana and Blueberry Pancakes



Being true to my word, I am continuing to experiment with a more varied breakfast menu, one rich in protein and other energy boosting nutrients. Sunday morning saw me using my extra hour not for sleep but for pancakes. I had seen this recipe for flour free Banana and Blueberry Pancakes a while ago and had bought bananas last week planning on finally making them. Unfortunately I neglected to buy coconut but by yesterday morning the bananas were reaching that point of no return where soft and brown turns from sweet to dry which is very close to bad. I did however have a plentiful supply of ground almonds, so followed the recipe substituting them in instead.

I'm torn about giving a negative review about a recipe especially when I've messed with it and to be honest the pancakes weren't actually bad, just not really to my liking. I like eggs, but for some reason I have a problem eating them at breakfast. These pancakes were very 'eggy', the taste was fine, strong banana and sweet blueberries, but the texture for me was all wrong. If you like eggs for breakfast give them a try.

Recipe

Banana and Blueberry Pancakes from Green Kitchen Stories
Serves 4

3 bananas
6 eggs
100 g coconut flakes (this is where I substituted an equal amount of ground almond)
3/4 cup blueberries (frozen)
1 tsp cinnamon
coconut oil


Mash the bananas with a fork. Whip the eggs and mix it together with the bananas. Add coconut, blueberries and cinnamon and stir it together.
 

Fry the pancakes on both sides in coconut oil on medium heat. Serve with coconut flakes, cinnamon and blueberries on the top.

The other thing I'll mention is that even on my lowest heat, they browned very quickly, in fact faster than they cooked through and their texture made it hard to turn them. I've probably put you off making these now, but they really are a good recipe if you like eggs for breakfast and the time to spend making them. Definitely a Sunday morning thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment