Friday 2 November 2012

A Terrible Vegetarian

 Chickpea and Tomato Hummus

That's me by the way, I'm a terrible vegetarian. Pre-Tin Can living I made more of an effort although I can't say I was spot on with my balance of protein and such. Now however, with such a tiny space and only one pot at a time really fitting on the stove, it's gotten pretty bad. Tim and Elliot are meat eaters so on the nights meat is on the menu I usually just eat the veg rather than make another meal for me. I'm always cold and wonder why! So this week I have made a promise to myself to make sure I'm doing it right and the simplest way to start is with breakfast. My go to breakfast as you know is my homemade museli, but lately I have started mixing things up with fruit and yoghurt, adding flax and nuts and today eggs. The funny thing is I'm half German and in Germany breakfast is big. Cheese, meats, fruit, yoghurt, rye and wheat breads, pickles and spreads and pate. You name it, it's probably on the table. In the spirit of all that's German, tomorrow I will add this beautiful spread to the table along with some multi-grain bread I baked this week. This recipe was given to me by my old boss and friend Kathy and I thank her every time I make it, it's that good.


Recipe

Chickpea and Tomato Hummus
makes 1 1/2 cups

12 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 can chickpeas (or 1 cup cooked)
15 basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
1/4 tsp chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, adding water as needed until a creamy consistency is reached. 
Store in the fridge in a sealed container until ready to use.

Writing out the recipe she gave me I realize I don't often make it that way anymore! I don't always have basil so will quite often substitute spinach or kale. I never add the oil, however I do use sun dried tomatoes kept in oil so I suppose they cancel each other out. If you don't have lemon juice it tastes just as good without too, although do try and add it.
I have used this as a spread on toast or for a vegetarian sandwich or wrap. Veggies or pita for dipping is obvious but it's also great as an alternative pizza topping instead of tomato sauce (thin it out a bit first, it can be a bit dry and thick once baked). I am also going to use it as an omelet filling for that double boost of protein! I'll keep you all up to date with other breakfast ideas and maybe make it a bit of a weekly feature    (now I have to start eating better!)

Have a great weekend everybody. See you on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment