Friday 16 November 2012

Baker's Remorse



 I'm deeply embarrassed by this. In my defense, my heritage is partly to blame. The English side of me is all, Treacle Tart and Jam Rolly Poly, Yorkshire Puddings and battered fish. The German side is cake and more cake followed by bread and lot's of cheese. To cap it all off I fell out of our enormous truck and smacked my right knee hard on the way down, followed by whacking my left knee even harder on the 'kitchen' table yesterday morning. Now I'm not claiming my brain is located in either knee cap, but let's all just agree that it must have had some affect on my decision making.

I hate Rice Crispy Squares. To me they are the most useless treat to make. There is nothing in them that can justify a moment of pleasure from eating something from the 'naughty list'. Yet last night I found myself melting a huge quantity of butter with sugar AND maple syrup and stirring in a bucket load of oats for what is quite possibly the British equivalent of the Rice Krispy square. Flapjacks. Even as I was unwrapping the butter my mind was screaming at me; WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? PUT THE BUTTER DOWN AND REACH FOR THE YOGHURT, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TONIGHT! However my body kept going and make flapjacks I did, and I don't even like flapjacks. Knee trauma, it's a serious thing people.

Recipe

Flapjacks (the British kind!) makes 16 squares

300g butter
75g dark brown sugar
6 tablespoons golden syrup (or if you don't have that and you really should try and get it for genuine British    flapjacks, use maple or agave instead.)
200g rolled oats
250g instant oats

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large 8"x12" or bigger baking pan with parchment paper.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, gently melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and syrup until well blended. 
Measure out your oats and add to the melted butter mixture mixing well to cover all the oats in the syrup. 
Spread in your prepared baking pan and press down with the bottom of a measuring cup until firmly compacted.
Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 20 -25 minutes. Let cool slightly then cut into 16 squares in pan. Leave to cool completely before removing from pan.

So I'm sorry. I'm sorry these will require you to dig out your elasticated pants and walk an extra block to work every morning for at least a week or two, but I can't undo what happened. They have been made and they must be eaten in all their rich chewy yumminess. Next week we will be healthy I promise.

Have a great weekend:)

1 comment:

  1. Elasticized pants will be worth it! This sounds delicious! I know what I'm making to have with tea tonight and an episode of "The Big C"!

    ReplyDelete